If you like oatmeal or grits, you will probably love chao. Chao is an easy to digest rice porridge that is simple to make. A perfect Vietnamese comfort dish for when you are not feeling good…
Beef and Rice Porridge (Chao thit bo)
• 10 cups of water
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 2 tbsp salt
• 1 cup of uncooked white rice (jasmine or long grain)
• 1 cup of ground beef or thinly slide beef
• 1 sprig of chopped green onion for garnish
• Sliced onion for garnish
1. In a large stock pot, add water and bring to rolling boil
2. Add onion, salt and uncooked rice to the pot. Once the pot starts boiling again, reduce the heat to low simmer and stir regularly for 30-45 minutes.
3. Add the beef to the porridge. Continue to simmer the porridge over lower heat for another 15 minutes. The porridge is finished once it has reached a thick, creamy white consistency and not watery.
4. Laddle the porridge into serving bowl and garnish with the chopped green onion and sliced onion if desired.