Pho usually refers to Vietnamese rice noodle soup. However, there is also a stir-fried version using the same wide rice noodles. As with most stir-fries, you can use any mix of vegetables and/or meat with the noodles.
Stir-Fried Rice Noodles/ Pho Xao
• 1 package of pho noodles cooked and rinsed (wide rice noodles)
• 1 chicken breast, sliced
• ¼ lb of pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
• 3 chopped cloves of garlic
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 1 carrot, julienned
• 1 cup of julienned jicama
• ¼ lb of peeled shrimp
• 4 tbsp fish sauce
• 1 tbsp oyster sauce
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• ½ cup water
• 1 sprig of chopped green onion (reserve some for garnish)
1. Heat a large sauté pan on medium high heat.
2. Add meat to hot pan and stir-fry until lightly brown (3-5 minutes)
3. Add garlic to the meat in the pan and give it a quick stir. Next, stir in the vegetables. Once the vegetables have slightly softened, add the shrimp to the mixture. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the fish sauce, oyster sauce, black pepper and water. Stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce starts bubbling. Toss in the cooked rice noodles.
5. Garnish with reserved green onions and serve immediately.