Think of this as a tomato based broth with seafood over thin rice noodles. The best way to enjoy this dish is to load the noodle soup bowl up with lots of shredded greens. This is a bit simpler version that previously posted.
Tip: Use the largest stock pot possible.
Tomato Crab Noodle Soup (Bún Rieu)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs of green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 8 tomatoes, quartered
- 8 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp of cracked pepper
- 6 quarts of water
- 8 tbsp of fish sauce
- 2 tbsp of white vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste (optional)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (2 tsp for medium spiciness)
- 1 cup lump crab
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup dried shrimp, finely grounded
- ½ cup of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ lb of washed bean sprouts
- In a large stock pot, heat up the oil to sautee the green onions and garlic. Once the onion mixture is fragrant, add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat until the tomatoes are partially cooked.
- Cover the tomato mixture with the 6 quartz of water. Add fish sauce, vinegar and the tamarind paste. Bring to a gentle boil.
- In the mean time, in a large bowl whisk the eggs and add fold in the the ground up dried shrimp.
- Reduce the heat to the broth until it comes to a slow simmer. Then gently pour the egg mixture on the top of the broth. You want the egg mixture to float and become a ½-1 inch layer on top of the broth.
- Prior to serving, prepare the noodles, the greens platter, and shrimp paste mixture as suggested below.
- To serve the noodles, ladle the broth and chunks of the egg mixture on top of the rice noodle bowl and garnish. Everyone is encouraged to add a generous handful of the shredded greens and shrimp paste mixture to taste. A squeeze of lemon for those who want a little more sour note.
- 4 quarts of water
- 1 package of thin rice noodles (14 oz)
- 2 sprigs of green onion, chopped
- ¼ onion sliced thinly
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, thinly sliced into ribbons
- ¼ head of red cabbage, thinly sliced into ribbons
- ½ bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
Shrimp Paste Sauce
- 2 tbsp shrimp paste
- ½ a lemon juiced
- 4-5 Thai chili peppers, sliced