This is a simple vegetable stir-fry that can be used as a side with other main dishes. The traditional dish utilizes shrimp paste and will give the dish a more complex and deeper flavor. However, it is quite pungent so I’ve opted for the fish sauce instead since that will probably appeal to more people! If you would like to go with the shrimp paste, use about 1-1.5 tablespoon of shrimp paste instead of the fish sauce.
Vietnamese Water Spinach Stir Fried with Garlic/Rau Muong Xao Toi
• 3-4 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tbsp sesame seeds
• 4 chopped cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
• 1 bunch of water spinach, (wash and remove stem)
• 3-4 tbsp fish sauce
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and lightly brown sesame seeds first. Then add the sliced garlic
2. Add water spinach/rau muong to the pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until it is bright green.
3. Drizzle fish sauce over the water spinach/rau and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes. Serve with steaming white rice.