One of my favorite Vietnamese dishes is is ‘Mì Xaò Dòn’ or crispy egg noodles. Today, I’m sharing with you a vegetarian version of crispy egg noodles. You can use any mix of in season vegetables. You can also consider including proteins such as fried tofu or Seitan Korean beef.
I’ve used pea shoots as a garnish, if it is unavailable at the Asian market you can substitute regular sprouts.
Tip: Remember to serve the cooked noodles immediately or else it will not be crispy.
Vegetarian Crispy Egg Noodles (Mì Xaò Dòn Chay)
• 1 package of Chinese thin/ramen style egg noodles for pan-frying (8oz)
• 5 tbsp of olive oil
• 1 package of Seitan Korean Beef (1 lb – optional)
• 2-3 chopped cloves of garlic
• ½ onion sliced
• 1 sliced red pepper
• 1 small package of sliced mushrooms
• 1 bunch of baby bok choy, cut diagonally 1 inch
• 1 tsp of oyster sauce
• 2 tbsp fish sauce
• 2 tbsp of soy sauce
• 1 cup of chicken stock or water
• 2 tbsp of corn starch
• 2-3 sprig of green onions, chopped
• ¼ lb of pea shoots (optional)
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat for the egg noodles. At the same time, heat 2 tbsp of oil in another large skillet for the stir-fry.
2. Gently fluff the soft egg noodles with your fingers before placing in the hot fry pan. Fry on medium high heat until the noodles are golden brown and crispy, about 4-5 minutes on each side. While the noodles are frying, start the stir-fry. Remember to periodically check on the noodles and flipping it to the second side.
3. In the second large skillet being heated on medium-high heat, add Seitan Korean Beef, garlic, onions, red peppers, mushrooms, and bok choy.
4. In a small bowl, make the sauce by combining the oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, chicken stock and corn starch.
5. Drizzle the sauce over the stir-fry mixture and bring it to a boil – periodically stirring the pan to incorporate the ingredients. When the bok choy turn bright green and the sauce is thick remove the stir-fry from the heat.
6. At this time, the egg-noodles in the other pan should be golden brown on both sides. Place the disc of egg noodles onto a platter and top with the just finished stir-fry. Add the green onions and pea shoots for garnish.