Remember the trick to making fried rice is to use COLD rice. I usually use leftover rice or cook the rice the day before I plan to make fried rice. If you want fried rice but don’t have any left over rice, you can spread the warmed/cooked rice onto a baking sheet, let it cool for 10-15 minutes before sticking in the freezer for an hour or so to. Cold rice tends to form clumps so use your hands to squeeze the clumps to separate the rice before adding to the pan.
Fried rice is a great way to make use of extras or left over ingredients. You can follow the basic recipe to make plain fried rice by not adding veggies, meat, or shrimp.
Tip: If you don’t like the carrots or peas, you can substitute instead other veggies like red or yellow peppers. Be careful not to over stir-fry the rice – more than 10-15 minutes you will have dried out fried rice.
Vietnamese Shrimp Fried Rice
- 4 tbsp of oil
- 1 lb of peeled shrimp
- ¼ cup of chopped onion or shallots
- 3 cloves of smashed or chopped garlic
- ½ cup of finely chopped carrots
- 6 cups of cold, cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 cup of frozen peas
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peeled shrimp and stir-fry until half-cooked. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
2. Add remaining oil to the skillet bring to a sizzle. Add chopped onions/shallots to the skillet and give it a quick stir until softened. Next, add chopped garlic and chopped carrots.
3. To the stir-fried carrots, add the cold, cooked rice to the fry pan and frequently turn the rice with a spatula for about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add to the fried rice the half-cooked shrimp and turn the rice mixture regularly over the next 2-3 minutes.
5. Create a hole in the middle of the pan by pushing the rice mixture to the sides of the pan. Crack and egg in the hole and with the spatula give it a few stir until the egg is scrambled. Now incorporate the scrambled egg into the rice mixture.
6. Once the rice seems to have softened and is emitting steam, add oyster sauce, fish sauce, crushed black pepper and frozen green peas. Stir-fry for about 1-2 minute over medium heat to thoroughly mix the fried rice.