Gai lan (or kai lan) is often referred to as Chinese broccoli. It doesn’t look anything like the Western version of broccoli although has similar tastes sans the broccoli flower. Great for a stir-fry dish. Use gai lan as you would in recipes with bok choy. You can find gai lan at some local grocery stores now.
This recipe is vegetarian but you can easily add chicken, beef, or pork. I would stir-fry the meat first and then proceed with the rest of the recipe below.
Chinese Broccoli (gai lan) with Black Bean Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch (~1 pound) of gai lan, roughly chopped
- 8 oz of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of black bean sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large 12 inch skillet or larger over medium-high heat.
2. Add chopped garlic, give it a quick stir.
3. Add the gai lan and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the gai lan cooks down a bit.
4. Add black bean sauce and chicken broth. Stir for about 2-3 minute over medium heat, until gai lan turns bright green. Add salt and pepper to taste.