The soup is quite simple to make, most of the time is spent on making the chicken stock. If you have homemade chicken stock, it will take you less than 10 minutes to put this meal together.
Although this recipe is with noodles, the broth is just as good over rice. The noodles can be found at Asian market, commonly called: Mung Bean Threads/Noodle/Vermicelli, Glass Noodles.
Chicken Soup with Clear Glass Noodles (Miến Gà)
- 5 quarts of water
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 1 large chunk of ginger, cut into slivers
- 2 tbsp salt
- crushed black pepper to taste
- 8 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 package of clear glass noodles
- 2-3 sprig of chopped green onion for garnish
1. Bring water to boil in a medium size pan. Add to the boiling water, the chicken, whole peeled onion, ginger and salt. Bring to a gentle boil for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Skim off any fat and particles that comes to the top.
2. Remove chicken once it is cooked (no blood oozing from thigh region) and set aside to cool. Once cooled, remove chicken from the bone, shred or thinly slice and set aside. Return the chicken carcass to the broth and simmer for another hour before discarding the bones.
3. Add crushed black pepper, fish sauce to stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, soak the clear glass noodle in hot water about 20 minutes before serving.
5 When ready to serve, drain the noodles and prepare microware safe bowls with a single portion of noodle and few pieces of chicken. Microwave each bowl for about 20 seconds and then ladle soup over noodle. Garnish soup with chopped green onions and/or cilantro.