This tomato sauce can be paired with most fish. Today I came across some nice looking catfish filets. It’s a simple Vietnamese tomato sauce that comes together quickly – great for weeknight meals.
Fish with Sweet Tomato Sauce
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 filets of catfish or your choice of fish
- chopped chives or green onions for garnish
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in large frying pan on medium high heat and sautee the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and give it a quick stir. Add chopped tomatoes to the pan. Salt and pepper the tomatoes. Adjust heat to medium-low and simmer the tomatoes, occasionally stirring the pan until the mixture becomes a thick sauce with chunks of tomatoes – about 7-10 minutes.
2. In a separate large frying pan, add the rest of the olive oil, and pan-fry two of the catfish filets at a time. When the filets are golden brown on both sides, set aside. Continue to pan-fry the rest of the catfish filets.
3. To the thickened tomato sauce, add fish sauce and sugar. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes to incorporate.
4. Plate the pan-fried filet of fish and generously top with tomato sauce. Garnish with chopped chives and serve immediately with rice.