This is a simple vegetable stir-fry that can be used as a side with other main dishes. Don’t worry, this is not the usual mushy collard greens. I bet you will like collard greens after you try this. You can skip the ginger if you would like, but I highly recommend adding it to the stir-fry since it gives it the dish a more complex and bright flavor.
Vietnamese Collard Greens Stir Fry/Cai Lan Xao
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chopped cloves of garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bunch of collard greens, chopped (~1lb)
- 1-2 tsp grated ginger
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- cracked black pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and slightly auté the chopped garlic and red pepper flakes
2. Add chopped collard greens to the pan and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until the collards are bright green.
3. Add to stir-fry, grated ginger.
4. Add black pepper and drizzle fish sauce over the collard greens once it has cooked down a bit. Stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.