How do you enjoy fried rice guilt-free? Use brown rice instead of white rice and add lots of veggies. Here, I’ve used less meat and added mushrooms. As always with fried rice, remember to use cold rice. I usually make extra rice for dinner so there is always left-over rice in the refrigerator for fried rice!
Tip: You can skip the chicken and make vegetarian fried-rice. Feel free to substitute with left-over tofu or meats such as chicken, turkey, beef or pork.
Healthy Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 boneless chicken breast or thigh (defatted and diced)
- ¼ cup of chopped onion or shallots
- 1 cup of finely chopped carrots
- 3 cloves of smashed or chopped garlic
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups of cold, cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1 sprig chopped green onions (optional)
- crushed black pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken until cooked and lightly brown. Add chopped carrots and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add chopped onions/shallots and give it a quick stir until softened. Next, add chopped garlic and sliced mushrooms.
3. Cold rice tends to form clumps so use your hands to squeeze the clumps to separate the rice. Add the cold, cooked rice to the fry pan and frequently turn the rice with a spatula for about 3-5 minutes.
4. Create a hole in the middle of the pan by pushing the rice mixture to the sides of the pan. Crack and egg in the hole and with the spatula give it a quick stir until the egg is scrambled. Now incorporate the scrambled egg into the rice mixture.
5. Once the rice seems to have softened and is emitting steam, add oyster sauce, fish sauce. Stir-fry for about 1-2 minute over medium heat to integrate the seasoning with the fried rice. Stir in the frozen peas and chopped green onions at the very end. Add crushed pepper according to taste.