Crispy tofu is great, even better when it’s paired with shrimp. Shrimp Tofu Croquettes are mom’s creation. It’s can be served as an appetizer or a side dish. Any of your favorite Asian dipping sauce would go well with these croquettes.
To reheat, place in 350°F oven for 5-7 minutes and they will crisp up nicely.
Shrimp Tofu Croquettes
(Serves 6-8; ~24 croquettes)
- 1 package of extra firm tofu (14 oz)
- ½ lb of peeled shrimp
- ¼ cup oil for frying
- 3 chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 chopped sprigs of green onions
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- chopped chives for garnish
1. Remove tofu from package and pat dry. Roughly chop or tear tofu into large chunks and place in food processor. Pulse tofu until it resembles feta cheese chunks. Place into a large bowl.
2. Place in shrimp and chopped garlic in food processor and pulse 2-3 times for rough chunks of shrimp (not mushy).
3. Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat.
4. Add the shrimp, green onions, salt into the bowl of tofu. Mix thoroughly. Roll about 1 ½ tbsp of the mixture in the palm of your hand until it is a round ball. Gently squeeze the ball between the palm of your hand until it is a round disk about 2 inches wide, ½ inch thick.
5. Place the shrimp and tofu disks into the frying pan on medium to medium high heat. Turn over when one side is lightly browned – about 3 minutes on each side.
6. Place the shrimp tofu croquettes on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
7. For the dipping sauce, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice wine. Garnish with chives and serve with the warm shrimp tofu croquettes.