Goi is a light, crispy, and healthy Veitnamese salad. Goi ga is a very traditional salad often made with ‘rau ram’, commonly known as Vietnamese coriander. ‘Rau ram’ has a distinctive spiciness. It can only be found at Asian markets. In this recipe, I’ve substituted it with cilantro.
To make the cooked chicken, simply boil the whole chicken in a large pot of salted water. The stock can be used as a base for soups.
Tip: It’s even better the next day as the goi/salad marinades overnight.
Vietnamese Chicken Salad/Goi Ga
- 1 medium to large head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cooked whole chicken, shredded (skin removed)
- 2-3 tbsp salt
- 2 lemons
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- crushed black pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro
- 3-4 sprigs cilantro and few slices of red onion for garnish
1. In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, sliced red onion, salt, pepper, vinegar, juice from 2 lemons
2. Add to the bowl shredded chicken and chopped cilantro.
3. Toss the salad well and let marinade for at least 30 minutes. This can be refrigerated overnight.
4. Garnish with cilantro and onion.