One of my favorite stand-by meals during a busy work week is tomato soup with jasmine rice. It’s quick, satisfying and light.
First, start the jasmine rice in a rice cooker. While the rice is cooking, you can make the soup and the meal will come together in half an hour! This tomato soup can be made with beef, chicken or dried shrimp (found in Asian markets). I usually make it with chicken, always available in my kitchen.
Tomato Soup With Chicken
- 8 cups of water
- 1 large chicken breast with bone
- 6-8 large fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 sprig of chopped green onion for garnish
- Sprigs of fresh cilantro for garnish
1. Add salt to water in a medium size pan, bring to boil
2. Debone chicken breast and remove skin. Cut chicken breast into slices. Place bone and sliced chicken into boiling water to make stock. Once it returns to a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium.
3. Add chopped onion to chicken stock.
4. Cut tomatoes into quarters and add to stock.
5. Add crushed black pepper, fish sauce to stock.
6. Cover and simmer, about 10 minutes.
7. Remove chicken breast bone from soup.
8. Garnish soup with chopped green onions and cilantro.
9. Ladle soup over a bowl of warm jasmine rice to serve.